I am eating one fresh from the oven as I write and, not to blow my own trumpet, but these are delicious! A great afternoon treat with a cup of tea!
Ingredients: (Makes 6)
For the Buns:
190g Butternut Squash
200g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
25g Walnut Pieces
1 TBSP Olive Oil
For the Lemon Glaze:
Juice of ½ a Lemon
Icing Sugar - enough to thicken the lemon juice until the glaze easily coats the back of a spoon
Preheat oven to 200c/Gas mark 6
1. Bake a small whole squash for 45 mins then allow to cool for 30 mins (Tip: Use the left over Butternut Squash from my Butternut Squash Bread, a small squash will give you enough for both!)
2. Remove skin and seeds and place flesh in bowl and mash.
3. Measure out 190g of mashed squash and place in clean bowl and then add the flour, cinnamon, walnuts, xylitol, baking powder and oil
4. Mix until all ingredients combine into a dough
5. Add a little more flour if too sticky or a little water if too dry
6. Divide the dough into six equal amounts and then roll into sausage shapes. Curl the sausage shapes into spirals and place on greased baking paper. Sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon and xylitol
7. Bake for 30-35 mins.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully
9. Mix the Lemon Juice and Icing sugar together to form a glaze
10. Drizzle over the buns and allow to set
11. Serve and enjoy!