I love this bread recipe, it is almost foolproof and makes the most delicious savoury loaf - serve it toasted with a drizzle of olive oil. Your non Gluten and Diary free friends won't be able to tell the difference - whenever I bake it I always get asked for the recipe! Enjoy!
Adapted from a Recipe by Gillian Mckeith
375g Butternut Squash
300g Gluten Free Bread Flour
2 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
1 tsp Herbs
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 TBSP Olive Oil
Preheat oven to 200c/Gas mark 6
1. Bake a small whole squash for 45 mins then allow to cool for 30 mins.
2. Remove skin and seeds and place flesh in bowl and mash.
3. Measure out 375g of mashed squash and place in clean bowl, then add the flour, seasoning, oil and baking powder.
5. Place on floored board and knead until soft and spongy.
6. Add a little more flour if too sticky or a little water if too dry
7. Place dough in a small loaf tin or form into a round loaf and place on an oiled baking tray. If you make a round loaf cut a cross on top (In my opinion the loaf tin makes a better bread as the crust of the round loaf can be a little hard)
8. Bake for 30-35 mins.
9. Insert a knife into the bread, if it comes out clean the bread is done. If cooking a round loaf do the usual base tap to check if cooked. If required, bake for a further 5 mins.
* If you like fruit bread exchange the garlic and herbs for 20g sultanas, 1-2 tsp cinnamon and add 20g Xylitol or 10 drops liquid Stevia- yum!